In conjunction with the Adaptive Sports & Adventures Program (ASAP) the wheelchair curling instructional series with be held on Monday afternoons from 1:00pm to 3:00pm. The Curling Instructional Series will be broken up into 6 week sessions. The first 6 week session will begin in the Fall.
An individual who has completed an Evaluation Session can join at the beginning of any six week session. An evaluation session will consist of meeting the participant, figuring out the best set up for the individual, and an evaluation of abilities.
The Curling Instructional Series fee is $77.25 (which includes a 3% PayPal transaction fee) for a 6 week session and includes a Temporary 6 week membership. All fees must be paid by the start of the first week of your session. You can pay online or by check.
*If paying by check, you can make your $75 check out to the Charlotte Curling Association.
- This will be an individual sign up instructional session (6 weeks).
- Players must be at least 18 years old (or 16 years old if playing with parents).
- Because this is an instructional session, there will be no scoring. All games played will be pickup games with teams being made weekly. The games will focus on skill development while also covering curling terms, strategy, and etiquette.
Structure & Series Rules and Guidelines
- Show up at least 15 minutes prior to your draw time in order to help prepare the ice and start on time.
- The first 30-60 minutes will be devoted to clinics/drills to help develop different curling skills.
- The remaining time will be spent playing a short game, approximately 4-6 ends, to work on the curling skills covered that week and the previous week(s).
- Other topics that will be discussed during drills and gameplay: Delivery Technique, Types of Shots (Draws, Guards, Takeouts, etc.), Speed of Play, Curling Terms, Strategy, and Game Etiquette.
- Experienced players will be on-hand to give in-game advice/instruction to help further develop the new curlers skill and understanding of the game.
- All players will be required to ensure the cleanliness of the club at completion of play every week.
Transition a new curler from a recent Evaluation Session to becoming a Charlotte Curling Association member, playing in a league format, through skill development and better understanding of the game of curling.
Participants must have completed an Evaluation Session within the past 6 months.