UPDATE (Nov. 18, 2017)
Local bonspiels might be eligible for the scholarship, and players are encouraged to apply.
Region-wide competitions like the Francis Dykes and Elisabeth Childs bonspiels are not eligible, unless the competition is held at our facility.
For local bonspiels, the only eligible item to be awarded would be the entry fee.
The intent of this scholarship program is to provide support for new curlers and to raise the level of Charlotte Curling members and the general level of play within Charlotte Curling, by facilitating participation in away competitions. This scholarship is available through the generous support of a couple of Charlotte Curling Association long time curlers who have a passion for new curlers gaining this experience.
The focus in on 5 and under teams, and the over/under concept, to encourage seasoned curlers and new curlers to bonspiel together. The team can have all team members that are under 5 years curling experience, but a team must have a minimum of two players that are under 5 years curling, to be eligible for the scholarship, as defined below:
- Ten (10) games per season anywhere constitutes a year of curling.
- The curling season starts on May 1st and ends April 30th.
- Junior curling but not Youth Curling, curling experience counts towards the five (5) curling years.
- Each participant is responsible for determining his/her eligibility.
Preference in awarding the scholarship will be given to teams comprised of individuals who have never received the scholarship previously.
The scholarship amount to be awarded, and the value awarded is determined by the following criteria:
- Payment of the Bonspiel entry fee, up to $400.
- Additionally, each player who is on the team, and under 5 years as defined, is eligible to receive up to $200 for each player that qualifies.
- An individual would not qualify for this additional money if they previously received the scholarship twice in the current curling year.
- This portion of the scholarship is limited to a maximum number of 4 curlers.
- This money can be used to offset travel costs, or other, as the individual awarded sees fit to use it.
- Maximum amount of scholarship is $1200.
- It is expected that all members of the team would be current Charlotte Curling Association members. Exceptions might be possible, but are strongly discouraged.
- Submission can be either in electronic form or paper form and a copy of the Bonspiel flyer must be attached to the application, when submitted.
- Submissions are only to be for the current curling year.
- Teams should not delay registering for a bonspiel, as the award amount can be awarded and dispersed after the event, if timing is an issue, as long as the bonspiel is in the current curling year, and does not affect the eligibility for the award.
- The selection committee will announce the decision on the application within 8 weeks of the application being submitted, and notify the individual as identified on the application, via email.
- All decisions made by the selection committee are final and unquestionable.
- Payment will be issued by the treasurer of the Charlotte Curling Association.
- All criteria defined above are subject to amendment without notice.
- The Scholarship funds are limited, and subject to a “first come, first served” priority.
Scholarship Application Form
Download and complete the Scholarship Application Form by clicking here (PDF).